My Blog List

Thursday 31 March 2011

Redundancy - an 11th hour reprieve

Faceless Bureaucrat:  At 4.40pm today, the 31st March, I received my fixed term contract extending my NHS employment to September 30 2011 on my current terms and conditions.  An 11th hour reprieve if ever there was one.        
The champagne will be flowing tonight.                          

Faceless Bureaucrat has worked her magic, shown infinite flexibility and adaptability and taken a role as "Training Lead" for a new commissioning tool built by the private sector and now being flogged by the NHS with FB in the forefront of the flogging it seems.  My role will be to train GPs and Practice Managers in this new toy which will apparently help them to manage patients at high risk of hospital admission (to keep them healthier longer and keep them out of expensive hospitals) and to check the accuracy of the bills coming from hospitals.

My CV now really does look like it's been in free fall since 1999 when I acquired the job title of Chief Executive.  In a reorganisation of 2002 I swapped "Chief Executive" for "Director" and was happy to do so as my pay increased by about 20%.  In 2006 I swapped "Director" (and sitting on the Board) for "Assistant Director" and was willing to do so as my pay did not drop and I left a lot of organisational politics behind me.

Since then my job titles have no longer had any reference to "Chief", "Director" or even "Manager", instead I have been a "Partner" or a "Consultant" and now, the finale...a "Lead".  And still on the same pay scale as I was when I first became a director...

And in the Alice in Wonderland world of the NHS my pay is 33% higher now than when I took that first director post.  Inflation has eaten about two thirds of that but still, I'm not complaining.

This new Lead Trainer role is probably the kiss of death to my CV but who cares if it keeps me in the NHS past that special day when my redundancy pay eligibility is triggered?  The role is not challenging, will leave me with the head space I need to trade and I will be able to work flexibly and keep trading in the mornings.

Am I ruthlessly exploiting the NHS or has it ruthlessly exploited me?




No comments:

Post a Comment