My Blog List

Thursday 16 September 2010

Can NHS managers cut the mustard...and trade?

Faceless Bureaucrat:  I get pretty naffed off with the press we get as NHS managers.  People seem to labour under the impression that we are robotic half-wits without independence of thought who are capable only of following rules and covering our backs.

So it came as something of a surprise to me to learn at the free seminar that to be a successful trader one must do exactly the same tasks in a repetitive - some might say robotic - way, trade only what one sees ("not what one thinks"), follow rules diligently and always cover one's back...or manage risk as they prefer to call it.

So here I am, having spent 20 years creatively solving complex problems involving multiple vested interest stakeholders to meet pigging government targets, often risking my career to actually get things moving...

But if I am to survive in the wild world of trading I must now reclaim the caution I threw to the wind and get back inside the box.  Sharpish.

Apparently trading is 80% psychology and 20% technical skill.  I am relieved to hear this as am rather worried about the technical side which involves lines on charts and long numbers but think that years of dodging and diving in the NHS will have my psychology well honed.  But is it honed to the right shape for trading?  I like to think so but on reflection feel that the traders at the seminar have already got the better of me as despite having promised myself I would commit to nothing at this seminar I left with a pack of DVDs and a weekend booking for a two day intensive course in trading stocks and shares.  Fully paid & committed, because they offered a nice discount if we signed on the dotted line right there and then.

What was I saying earlier about half-wits?

I now fluctuate between thinking I've been duped and being madly excited to learn more because, quite frankly, the free seminar was brilliant.  My conclusion is - I need help.  I know nothing of this but I want to make it happen.  I can't do it alone, so in my well honed NHS manager way, I call on the professionals to advise and guide. And actually, these guys seem really professional.  Let's hope I'm right.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you can cope with risk management, isn't that what it's all about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given you a blog award :)
    go to my blog to claim it
    www.rubyccino.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ruby Jo Cloud for presenting me with this award - how kind!

    ReplyDelete