My Blog List

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Less Action More Reflection

Bad Assed Trader:  First the good news. I've had a good day trading today with a great trade on Euro swissy (EUR CHF) which I took short for 38 points for 2% profit so there's still hope for me.

But my performance is taking a long time to consolidate into the right direction, ie up.  I feel I am improving but it's slow progress.

I'm blogging about this because I know I have to spend more time analysing and reflecting on my trades, I just find it so hard to carve out the time to do it.  Let's face it, nothing is more fun than getting into the trades and watching the movement.  It is exciting.  Whereas filling in the spreadsheet recording your trades and taking a long cool look at your efforts is definitely the more boring/painful side of this game.  Emmanuel, my incredible coach, has been telling me to get on and do it and I know he's right.  I also know he often has to tell me things two or three times before I actually do it - why am I so slow to twig??  I know...I don't really want to hear it...

I'm still trying to work out how to motivate myself to do this reflective practice.  It's like putting together my tax return, or doing the ironing...it gets put off and put off again.  Wikipedia describes reflective practice as:
"the capacity to reflect on action so as to engage in a process of continuous learning", which, according to the originator of the term, is "one of the defining characteristics of professional practice"
The Steph Gibb Model of Reflective Practice
Wiki also shares various models of reflective practice such as this one on the left.  Going through this circle of analysis means there's nowhere left to hide.
I know I need to do it and if anyone has any ideas about how to give myself an incentive to do it then please let me know.  In the meantime I am blogging about it to at least acknowledge in writing that I know I need to do it.  And I will.  I will post a blog sharing what I've learnt when I finish.

In fact I'm going to get onto it right away.  Straight after I finish the tax return and the ironing....although I'm feeling a bit tired and might just have a little nap first....
Reflection: Seeing more deeply

No comments:

Post a Comment